I love Netflix. Don’t you? Over time I’ve seen Youtubers and other bloggers share their top Netflix picks and I decided to join in on the fun. Originally this was going to be a top 10 list, but I decided five would be enough because I had a lot to say about each choice, and some of the choices actually contain more than one show/movie/etc. so let’s get into it!
5. Once Upon a Time: This one could have been combined into a category later on, but because there are six seasons on Netflix with the seventh currently airing I thought it deserved its own spot. This show is one of the most creative I’ve seen on network television in a long time. The writers have taken all of our favorite fairytales (and some other works of literature) and twisted and turned them and combined them in ways I couldn’t have imagined. This show crosses our world with the fairytale realm, all because of a curse cast 28 years ago. If you were a fan of Lost, you may want to give this one a try. Some of the same writers work on this show and you’ll definitely see some faces you recognize. Plus if you loved the flashbacks and seeing the characters’ back stories in Lost, Once Upon a Time won’t leave you disappointed.
4. Iliza Shlessinger Comedy (War Paint, Freezing Hot, Confirmed Kills): This one’s probably not for the kiddos, although I do feel that Iliza is a lot less vulgar than a lot of comedians. I’ve watched a lot of comedy specials on Netflix, and Iliza’s are by far my favorite. She’s smart, she discusses dating, relationships, and the dynamics of men and women, all while making you laugh hysterically. Freezing Hot is my favorite, but all three of the specials are definitely worth a watch.
3. Anything Disney/Star Wars/Marvel: You probably have heard that Disney is going to start its own streaming service, but as of right now we have quite a few options on Netflix. From animated faves like Mulan, Hercules, and Moana (my personal top pick), to many of the recent live action films (including Beauty and the Beast), and even some Disney Channel flicks, there’s something for every Disney lover at the moment. Right now Rogue One is the only film in the Star Wars franchise available (other than the Clone Wars) but if I had to guess, The Last Jedi will make its way to Netflix in a few months after it’s release. And if you’re an Avengers fan, you can currently catch Civil War, Dr. Strange, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
2. NBC Comedies (The Office, Parks and Recreation, Friends): I have learned over the years that NBC knows how to make a great half-hour comedy show. Parks and Rec is probably my favorite show of all time. I’m such a fangirl for Amy Poehler so that’s one thing I love about this show, but the cast as a whole and the way the characters are written is just phenomenal. I also really like how the relationships between couples on this show seem realistic (except for maybe Jerry and Gail. Lol). The Office will have you rolling on the floor laughing one minute at all the shenanigans Michael and Dwight get into, and have you hating yourself the next because you’ll begin to feel like you’ll never find a love like Jim and Pam (we’ll stay hopeful though!). And what can I say about Friends? Such a classic. If you haven’t ever watched it, just do it. You won’t regret it.
1. STRANGER THINGS: My number one, top choice, is of course, Stranger Things. I feel like if you follow me on social media, nothing about this choice is surprising. I actually didn’t jump on the Stranger Things bandwagon right away; to tell you the truth, I was afraid to watch the show. I had heard it referred to as horror and that the monster (aka the demagorgon) was terrifying. Sorry if this is a spoiler, but when I finally decided to grow up and watch the show this past summer, I never really found the monster, or the show scary. Suspenseful? Yes. Terrific? Absolutely. But scary? No. This show has the most fantastic cast, great music, and a storyline that just sucks you in. Honestly I think I liked season 2 even better than the first, and that’s saying something.
So those are my picks! If you took the time to read this I’d love to hear what you’re watching!